Planting history: trees for earth week

Bryn Mawr has hosted a variety of events for Earth Week, including a Lights Out bonfire and s’mores night, a recycled fashion show, and a sustainable BBQ at the end of the week. I was very excited to participate in the Class Year Tree Planting, in which six saplings were planted around campus. The classes of 2022, 2021, 2020, and 2019, the McBride Class, and the student Sustainability Coordinators all were represented at the event to plant and dedicate their own tree. It could not have been a more beautiful and sunny afternoon. We wrote well-wishes on slips of biodegradable paper, and then dropped them in with the tree roots before the soil was filled in. Besides myself, there were three other seniors in attendance to help plant our brand new cherry tree. It was harder work than I expected!

After all the trees were planted we talked about coming back to Bryn Mawr some day and seeing how tall they had grown. One day they will be as tall and strong as the trees along senior row, but for now they are just barely twigs. I’m glad to have the chance to leave this tree as a legacy and contribute to the campus in such a fun way.

Seniors Bria Montaque, Cassidy Gruber Baruth, Lauren Phillips, and myself, planting our class tree! Photo courtesy of Emily Barry, Sustainability Coordinator and Environmental Studies major extraordinaire.